Welcome to the Williams Family Blog!

Now that you have found us, we invite you to return often for more adventures!


We Came To Play!

We Came To Play!

Opening Magic Kingdom

Opening Magic Kingdom

Saturday, August 7, 2010

It feels like it has been years. . .

It feels like it has been years since my last post and technically it has been.  It took an evening to figure our why our computer wasn't working quite right--security certificates expiring, loaded games not running, unable to log into e-mail, and passwords kicked out, etc.  I'm not a techy, but the husband had faith in me that I could figure it out. 

At first, I thought it was our anti-virus software.  Did we have a 1 year subscription or more?  If it was one year, this would be about the time it would expire.  But then, why didn't I get an e-mail?  Yet, I couldn't log in to e-mail to the password that needed reset on the account to purchase an updated anti-virus software.  You get the circular nature of the dilemma.

Next, I was able to find the PC scan and ran a scan.  After a few minutes, the scan stopped.  Not finished, but stopped and there was some sort of error message about the date being out of range.  A clue!

Off I went to the control panel to the date/time settings.  I discovered that indeed the date was out of range.  Somehow the year was 7501.  Don't ask me how that happened.  Anyway, I had my finger on the mouse for 4 minutes to turn the calendar which was on 2099, as 7501 was out of the calendar range, and turned back time to 2010 and clicked OK. 

As if by magic, all was well again.  Everything that wasn't working before was working again.  I didn't take any chances.  I logged into our anti-virus software account.  We had 3 year subscription so no worries until 2012.  Next, I installed updates and turned the computer off for the night. 

Whew!  We are back up and running now with firewall and security settings all in place.  OK, maybe I am a bit of techy or at least enough of one to get our computer well again.  "Clink"  here's to the 21st Century!

No comments:

Post a Comment